With the last chill of winter still around, one thinks of the last taste of stews and one-dish meals. To accompany these hearty meals, my mind steers toward the wines from the Priorat & Montsant regions of Spain. The Priorat & Montsant are generally fuller than those of its neighbor to the north, the Rioja, due to the addition of Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah to its blend with the typical Garnacha (Grenache) grape.
My favorite one- pot meal happens to be Patatas Riojana, a potato, lamb, pork, and chorizo stew seasoned with two types of paprika, onion and garlic. It's best to serve this stew with a salad.
The best choice of a red wine to accompany this one-dish meal is Scala Dei Cartoixa from the Priorat. This wine is a blend of Garnacha, Syrah and Cabernet grapes. This Priorato is full bodied and complimentary to the flavors of the dish.
Evelyn Wing, Spanish Buyer
Adapted from Saveur Magazine
- 3 lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 6 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 oz. Lamb, cut into 2" pieces
- 8 oz. Pork Shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 Medium Onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 Green Pepper, stemmed, seeded, cored and diced
- 12 oz. Spanish Chorizo (not Mexican - it's a different texture) sliced into 1/2" thick pieces
- 1-1/2 Tbs. Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1-1/2 Tbs. Hungarian Paprika
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Dried Red Hot Chili, broken into pieces (optional)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 7 - 8 Cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- Cut (or crack) potatoes into large chunks
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly golden. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb and pork to pot and brown all over until lightly brown.
- Add onion, peppers, chorizo, paprikas, bay leaf and chili and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in garlic and parsley.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and potatoes are soft and sauce has thickened - approximately one hour.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer to a warm tureen to serve.
View all Articles