- 6 lamb shanks
- flour for dredging
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 4 diced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pot large enough to hold 6 lamb shanks.
- Place flour seasoned with salt and pepper in paper bag.
- Add lamb and shake until lamb is well coated. Remove and shake off excess flour.
- Place lamb in preheated pan and brown completely.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine, chicken stock and fresh tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- Thicken the sauce to desired consistency. Serve over polenta or risotto.
View all Articles