- 2 large bunches of leeks
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 to 2 onions coarsely chopped and diced
- 1 stick butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup port
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the white part of the leek and the tender part of the greens.
- Rinse and put in bowl of cool water. Make sure to rinse and drain well to get all of the sand out of leeks. This should be about 6 cups.Add onions to make up difference.
- In a skillet over low heat add butter and leeks. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir. Cook for about 25-30 minutes until leeks are golden brown.
- Add port to the skillet and scrape edges to get all the browned residue on the bottom.
- Add the chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cayenne.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
View all Articles