Shiraz has some spiciness that mingles perfectly with the subtle spice in this soup. The bright berry fruit brings out the subtle flavors in this dish. Serves about two people
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 oz. Salt pork (small slice or substitute bacon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lime sour cream (for garnish)
- cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- scallions (green onions) (for garnish)
- Saute onions and garlic over medium heat until soft and translucent without browning.
- Add chicken stock, beans and all spices and simmer.
- Add salt pork for a few minutes being careful not to let it simmer too long (the dish will become overly salty). Taste often and remove when the level of saltiness is appropriate.
- When soup starts to thicken, about 10 minutes, remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaves and puree soup in a food processor or blender.
- Serve with sliced scallions, chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and just a spritz of lime juice.
View all Articles