Antinori: Peppoli Estate


Overview

Located five kilometers northeast of Santa Cristina, the 100 hectares (247 acres) Peppoli Estate has 62 hectares (153 acres) under vine, which yield Antinori Peppoli Chianti Classico DOCG. Despite their unusual exposure, Peppoli's east-northeast facing vineyards are planted in an ideal microclimate, a small heat-retaining valley on mineral-rich stony soil that is perfect for growing very fruity, lively Sangiovese.

Vineyards

Peppoli's vineyards are planted primarily with Sangiovese, with some Merlot and a small quantity of Malvasia. Antinori has propagated various Sangiovese clones here and believes that Peppoli will offer even greater promise once this vine’s finest biotypes are determined. The estate has impressive underground cellars.

Wines

Peppoli produces a single estate wine: Peppoli Chianti Classico, and a small production of Peppoli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

History

Antinori purchased the property in 1985 to celebrate of the family's 600th anniversary as Chianti producers, and presented their first vintage, 1985, in 1988. Vineyards have been tended at Peppoli at least since the Middle Ages, when Vallombrosian monks under the jurisdiction of nearby Badia a Passignano vinified wine at their Peppoli Monastery. In 1379, when the Guelphs were defeated by the Ghibellines party, the monastery was partially destroyed, and later abandoned.

On its ruins, the Bonsignori family built a villa, subsequently owned by other noble Florentine families, first the Gondis and then the Cerchi, who, in the 16th century, built a small elegant chapel nearby, dedicated to their ancestor, Saint Umiliana. Peppoli then passed to the Ridolfi family and from them to the Saccardis, who sold the property to Antinori in 1985. Peppoli also has 27 hectares (67 acres) of olive groves with 5,500 trees, many dating back several hundred years.

View all Articles