Red Wine Braised Oxtail
Oxtails make one of the richest, most satisfying braises. Enjoy this version with a hearty Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Oxtails (can substitute short ribs or other braising meats)
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or red wine (try to use the same type of wine you will drink with the dish)
- olive oil
- 1 can of chicken broth (can substitute beef, veal or other stock)
- Dredge oxtails in a mixture of flour and chili powder.
- In the pot you will braise them in, brown oxtails in olive oil making sure to turn periodically to prevent burning.
- Remove oxtails temporarily and sauté onions and garlic in remaining oil.
- Replace oxtails in pan and add red wine, broth and spices.
- Simmer until tender, about 2 & ½ hours or as long as possible.
- Remove oxtails from pan when meat is falling off the bone.
- When cool, pull meat off the bones and reserve.
- Strain sauce and simmer over medium heat.
butter to taste and to thicken, stirring constantly until sauce is
desired thickness (the more butter added the richer the sauce).
- Serve meat and sauce over pasta.