"We think that when grilling fish, simplest is best. Here the fish steaks (use any fish you like, from Tuna to Cod to Salmon) are rubbed with salt and generous amounts of black pepper, then brushed with a turmeric-tinted coconut milk. They stay wonderfully moist." -Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
Recipe excerpt taken form Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels through the Great Subcontinent by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
- 2lbs fish steak
- 1tsp salt
- about 1tsp of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup of fresh or canned coconut milk
- Heat a charcoal or grill gas.
- Wash fish in cold water, then pat dry.
- Rub salt and pepper on fish.
- Stir some turmeric in the coconut milk and brush some onto fish. Set the remaining coconut milk to the side.
- Brush the grill rack with oil and lay fish on to cook. Grill until tender and just cooked through (or leave center well done, if desired)
- Flip steaks over and brush more coconut milk onto newly grilled surface of fish.