Located in the Gaiole district of Chianti, Badia a Coltibuono translates to "Abbey of the Good Harvest.” Founded in the 11th century by Vallombrosan monks, the Stucchi Prinetti family became the second set of owners when they bought the 173 acre property in 1846.
Over the years, the family has carefully built a significant stock of ancient Sangiovese clones-this assures a continuous supply of quality grapes as well as clonal diversity. Estate fruit is used for the Badia a Coltibuono line and grapes for Coltibuono Selections are purchased through the family's long-term relationships with respected growers in Tuscany. Minimal use of oak and thoughtful plantings of high-density vineyards enables natural, honest expressions of varietal, vintage and terroir. In 1996 a state-of-the-art winery was built in Monti and in 2003, the Badia a Coltibuono wines were awarded ICEA organic certification.